Monday, March 15, 2010

The Beginning of a Bead-utiful adventure






Last year, I was lucky enough to move to within walking distance of the Wye River Design Studio, in downtown Grasonville, MD. The owner and operator of the studio, recognizing that I needed a distraction from the rewarding, but tedious life of a stay at home mom, quickly took me under her wing and indulged my love of all things crafty.

I tried most of the crafts in the shop. I quickly discovered that I most enjoyed making mosaics and creating beaded jewelry.

The pictures accompanying this blog were some of my first beading creations. I debuted my collection at the Kent Island Federation of Art's Artoberfest, held in late October of last year. My collection was mostly stretchy bracelets and necklaces, which I marketed toward the child and elderly demographic. I did fairly well, selling 4 bracelets and 1 necklace, making 5$ profit over my table fee. Last week, I started learning about working with jewelry wire and clasps. As my skill set grows, I hope to be debuting more pieces in craft shows and eventually launching my own website selling my jewelry.


Until then, enjoy. The pieces shown were made with stretchy string and plastic beads.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! These are so pretty. I would wear them. Do have any of these left? Cause I am very interested in two of them. Let me know! And I can't wait to see what you are creating. Kudos and keep up the mad crafty skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EHH, if I can get my webcam back up and running on Wed, I have things to show at the pajama party this week.

    And thanks for the compliments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool I will keep my fingers crossed so that we can see all the pretty things you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay the one by itself in the pic and the one with the square bead. They are the ones I love the most. Of course any of them would be great cause they are all too cute.

    ReplyDelete